The site is currently undergoing database maintenance and may be unavailable for brief periods while we worked on our database this week.
Posted May 29th, 2011
I just want to inform everyone that the glitch where users could not enter codes into the database has been fixed. Apparently the code insert script broke a few days ago when we made changes to the database.
On another note, there have been some improvements on the site as of recently. What are they? A new User Control Panel, more statistics, QR wallpaper, and a new site header image you can see when you are logged in.
Check the changelog for more info!
Posted May 16th, 2011
I am very happy to present to you our very own mobile version of the site!
This mobile version is replacing the old AIR search feature that we originally had. The mobile version can be access either by visiting:
m.upcdatabase.org or air.upcdatabase.org
This past week I have also managed to significantly increase the performance of the site through better database queries, fewer redirects, better use of the cache, and overall code fixes.
On another note, I modified the home page layout a bit more to include a introduction and the poll on top of the page, then these blog posts below that. This way, the poll will always be visible and users will get a nice little greeting when they visit the site.
Posted May 8th, 2011
You can now search by product name! I will be working on this feature more and more in the coming weeks, but for now, the basic functionality is there. Give it a go!
Also, as I mentioned in the post below, I won't be making a whole new post every time I make a change, but I will keep this post updated with notable updates as they happen.
Don't forget to check out the changelog and the QR Code Generator!
PS: I just noticed that the code insert script was broken, again! It's been fixed.
PPS: Added the "Poll of the Month"!
Posted April 29th, 2011
I'm just posting a quick update to let everyone know that I haven't disappeared! Because the site is almost fully functional, I will be posting here less and less regarding site updates and new features, even though I am working on the site almost every day.
Having said that, I've made a few improvements since the last post. I've worked hard on making the site faster, and today I've just finished a script to cache search results. Search result pages rarely change, so there's no need to dynamically generate a new page each time.
The database import is still coming along, I wrote a new sitemap generator, pages glow red when error messages are displayed, we added a QR Code Generator (It's pretty neat, check it out), and the site is overall working well and bug-free.
We love hearing from our users! Send us an e-mail telling us what you think!
Thanks for all the support!
Posted April 7th, 2011
I've been working on many new features for the site this past week. Here's a run down on what has changed:
• The login and registration scripts have been finished and pushed live.
• The User Control Panel is nearing completion but it does have some basic features.
• Scores for entering items into the database are being kept.
• A Moderator Control Panel is being worked on.
• A new page, search.php, has been added to take some stress off lookup.php
• Codes are now displayed in the URL as upcdatabase.org/code/123456
instead of upcdatabase.org/lookup.php?code=123456
• A new interface, AIR Search, has been added to the site to allow faster searching. www.upcdatabase.org/air
• The "Beta Workshop" has been renamed to "Feature Workshop" and now contains a changelog, works in progress, releases, etc.
• A Leaderboard!
• A "Site User Manual" has been added.
• AIR Search now displays code's in it's own format! Check it out: http://www.upcdatabase.org/air/wind.php?random
• Statistics now update daily instead of every page load.
• As a result of the above change, pages load 10 to 20 times faster. (From 2-6 seconds to less than 200 ms, wow!)
• I will be working on a patch for this soon.
The user control panel is still under construction, so bear with me. Also, I just noticed a change I made last week prevented people from entering UPC codes. Whoops! This has been resolved. Also, another change I made prevented users from registering. This has been fixed as well.
Please let me know if you encounter any errors anywhere on the site. Everything should be bug-free, but I may not have tested everything.
What features would you like to see? Please let us know!
-the admin :)