Posted May 29th, 2011
I just want to inform everyone that the glitch where users could not enter codes into the database has been fixed. Apparently the code insert script broke a few days ago when we made changes to the database.
On another note, there have been some improvements on the site as of recently. What are they? A new User Control Panel, more statistics, QR wallpaper, and a new site header image you can see when you are logged in.
Check the changelog for more info!
Posted May 16th, 2011
I am very happy to present to you our very own mobile version of the site!
This past week I have also managed to significantly increase the performance of the site through better database queries, fewer redirects, better use of the cache, and overall code fixes.
On another note, I modified the home page layout a bit more to include a introduction and the poll on top of the page, then these blog posts below that. This way, the poll will always be visible and users will get a nice little greeting when they visit the site.
Posted May 8th, 2011
You can now search by product name! I will be working on this feature more and more in the coming weeks, but for now, the basic functionality is there. Give it a go!
Also, as I mentioned in the post below, I won't be making a whole new post every time I make a change, but I will keep this post updated with notable updates as they happen.
PS: I just noticed that the code insert script was broken, again! It's been fixed.
PPS: Added the "Poll of the Month"!
Posted April 29th, 2011
I'm just posting a quick update to let everyone know that I haven't disappeared! Because the site is almost fully functional, I will be posting here less and less regarding site updates and new features, even though I am working on the site almost every day.
Having said that, I've made a few improvements since the last post. I've worked hard on making the site faster, and today I've just finished a script to cache search results. Search result pages rarely change, so there's no need to dynamically generate a new page each time.
The database import is still coming along, I wrote a new sitemap generator, pages glow red when error messages are displayed, we added a QR Code Generator (It's pretty neat, check it out), and the site is overall working well and bug-free.
We love hearing from our users! Send us an e-mail telling us what you think!
Thanks for all the support!
Posted April 7th, 2011
I've been working on many new features for the site this past week. Here's a run down on what has changed:
• The login and registration scripts have been finished and pushed live.
• The User Control Panel is nearing completion but it does have some basic features.
• Scores for entering items into the database are being kept.
• A Moderator Control Panel is being worked on.
• A new page, search.php, has been added to take some stress off lookup.php
• Codes are now displayed in the URL as upcdatabase.org/code/123456
instead of upcdatabase.org/lookup.php?code=123456
• A new interface, AIR Search, has been added to the site to allow faster searching. www.upcdatabase.org/air
• The "Beta Workshop" has been renamed to "Feature Workshop" and now contains a changelog, works in progress, releases, etc.
• A Leaderboard!
• A "Site User Manual" has been added.
• AIR Search now displays code's in it's own format! Check it out: http://www.upcdatabase.org/air/wind.php?random
• Statistics now update daily instead of every page load.
• As a result of the above change, pages load 10 to 20 times faster. (From 2-6 seconds to less than 200 ms, wow!)
• I will be working on a patch for this soon.
The user control panel is still under construction, so bear with me. Also, I just noticed a change I made last week prevented people from entering UPC codes. Whoops! This has been resolved. Also, another change I made prevented users from registering. This has been fixed as well.
Please let me know if you encounter any errors anywhere on the site. Everything should be bug-free, but I may not have tested everything.
What features would you like to see? Please let us know!
-the admin :)